Monday, November 14, 2005

I've Lost My Last Shred of Dignity

Tonight I was half of the presenting team and when I took over summarizing the chapters the class should have read, I was on a roll describing exclusionary tactics the town of Bedford, NY uses to keep immigrants from living in their community. I talked a good game about the history of the place, environmentalism, and then I flipped to chapter seven. Historical Character. It didn't look familiar, but I dove into it explaining how the town is using a selective history that only encompasses the white people to justify retaining "character"...then, turning the page I realize that chapter seven had not be assigned to read and we only had the first page of it anyway. Shit.

"Woah. Well, I'm just making stuff up..."

That was my recovery comment. I went ahead and made some stuff up about chapter eight, the chapter on Cultural Identity we were supposed to have read. Sadly, I was doing a better job summarizing the chapter I hadn't read then the chapters I had read.

Yes. Lame story, I know. But nothing exciting or unusual has been going on in my life. For a long time I believed that odd things happened to me, unexplainable happenings that brought me so much happiness and so many good stories, I thought I was a magnet for the unusual. But because maybe I've been whoring my stories out to this *blog* that the unexplainable has stopped occurring. It's been weeks since I've made a fool of myself, had someone else make a fool of themselves to me, or seen general weirdness. Remember how well the interview went? Usually those are disastrous. I, then, tried leaving the state, that always seems to work, but no, I returned to the same hum-drum life I tried to leave behind. It's got me down, and I'm wishing my bat would pay me a visit.

5 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

you'd probably have better luck if you left the country. i'm sure unusual situations would happen here and i'm positive unusual people would fall in love you.

i have a cute architect in one of my classes...

could you send me your address?

11:06 PM  
Blogger Daniel said...

Why is is that Dignity comes striated? Why don't we lose our last morsel or drop or flake of dignity?

10:47 AM  
Blogger CëRïSë said...

Hopefully a trip to Minneapolis might prove fruitful... either on the leaving-the-state theory or perhaps the being-in-range-of-Ceri's-crazy-bubble theory. (Although my crazy bubble hasn't been all that active recently, either--I guess it's a sign we need to join our forces.)

7:05 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

I laughed aloud at your story because it's an issue close to my heart.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

joining our forces for the entertainment of all...yes, i like that. ceri, are you going tell misty our plan or am i...or are we just going to surprise?

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home