Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Heroin Chic

I finished Ann Patchett's Truth and Beauty last night. The story is true and is about the friendship between Lucy Grealy and Ann Patchett. The farther I got into the book the more the main character reminded me of myself, needing love and affirmation, needing to know that others thought her work was good, constantly seeking acceptance.

"...I am engaging in the active pursuit of my non-understanding of what I am doing rather than using my lack of understanding as a reason to either avoid or be ashamed of what I am doing."
(pg. 205)

I need to be doing more active pursuing and less avoidance and shame in my life.

5 Comments:

Blogger CëRïSë said...

Oooh, I didn't realize that this was the book you were reading. If I recall, NPR's interview with Ann Patchett about it made me cry a little. I meant to read the book, too--with your recommendation, I'll have to.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

me too. i almost bought it when i was getting ready to fly. but i didn't. but now i will.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

i think i need to rewrite this entry...and the book made me cry a little. then again, i always tear up when charlie bucket opens the candybar with the golden ticket inside.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

i'm pretty sure that made me tear up as well. even when i expect it, it somehow catches me off guard.

you would probably die if you saw a korean movie. almost every movie has at least one scene that rips your heart or, as charissa says, smacks you over the head with two by four.

it's kind of nice to cry though. i had a nice out pour this week.

6:15 PM  
Blogger strovska said...

well, i cried hysterically in babe when their kids gave them the fax machine. i still can't explain why, but it's so sad.

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home