Friday, October 28, 2005

Hearing-Aid

I don't know where my head was today in three separate acts:

Standing at the drinking fountain at work I hear the elevator stop, open, and some guys get off, they're coming back from lunch and are talking. The bottle is filled, so i start walking toward the fifth-floor's door. I punch in the key-code and turn to hold the door open for the guys. I'm started because one is right behind me, and says something, and it filters through my brain that he has said something to me in the hall and I've totally ignored him.

"Were you talking to me?"
"I said that water's polluted."
"Wow. Sorry, I wasn't paying any attention."
"What were you thinking about, your boyfriend?"
"Oh, uh, yeah."

I was at the Coffee House getting a mocha with the super-special dark chocolate. The girl making it was still turned toward the esspresso machine, so the other worker, says something to me. I had to glance behind me to realize he was talking to me,

"Um, I'm sorry. What?"
"I'll ring you up..."
"Oh, Right."

Sitting at my desk I hear a conference between the Ag. section guys. They keep refering to Africans. I'm getting a little perturbed, what do Africans have to do with agricultural permits in Nebraska? Only after they've finished their debate, do I realize he's saying applicants.
-------
While parking, I hit my neighbor's car. It is not the first time this has happened, though last time I was backing up and it was night. This evening, it was light and I was pulling in, hitting it head on.

4 Comments:

Blogger Daniel said...

So, was the parking thing just a postlude to the 3 acts? And I was really hoping the third act would center around beverages too.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

So, what is on your mind? And is the water really polluted or is that just a pick up line? I'm sure it'd work with some people.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

honestly, i was thinking about throwing-up. not actually doing it, but my friend grant calls gagging yourself the "four finger return." a play on the five finger discount. i don't know why that was going through my head.

the polluted water comment was a joke since we work in water quality...

10:23 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

oh you crazy water quality workers...always with the funny jokes and pick-up lines.

8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home