Thursday, October 13, 2005

The Things That Keep Me Busy

Because just listening to the radio is not enough, I'm listening to not only All Things Considered, but an additional station that comes in with the local NPR station. And because it annoys me, I've added one ear of headphones playing The Beatles.

After being a semi-zombie (actually up from total zombie) today at work, I came home and made potato soup and fresh green beans. The green beans were an impulse buy Tuesday night at the grocery store. So green and fresh calling out my name. I don't, however, know what to do with fresh green beans. I ended up cooking them in salted water, then after they were done put some butter on them and freshly ground pepper. yum.

I took pictures on the way home from the grocery store (note the rain, so I was justified in driving there). I embrace taking ridiculously boring pictures of the boring things I do whole-heartedly. And whether or not Ceri's pictures are boring (I really don't think so) she does this too except every time I see a picture taken from her bike I think, "ohmigod, that's so dangerous!" But here I am taking pictures out my windshield, driving at least 35 mph. And after many lectures to my friends about how they should not talk on the phone and drive, I've found myself driving, talking on the phone, and taking pictures at the same time. Tuesday night the near misses were racking up, a jaywalker, a cyclist, the car in front of me did it stop me? Of course not.

I almost bought a guitar today on eBay. It was a beautiful, red, hollow-bodied Gibson. I could see myself on stage in cat-eye glasses, a poodle skirt, and cowboy boots playing in a kick-ass rock-a-billy band. Sadly, the only song I could play (as of four years ago) was Puff The Magic Dragon...not rock-a-billy at all. The same sellers had a cello for sale and I went through a similar daydream with it, replacing the glasses, skirt, and boots with a glamorous hair style, a sleek black dress, fashionable, yet comfortable, heels, and a full orchestra.

6 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

Sometimes I have to use by binoculars while driving on the highway.

9:06 AM  
Blogger bryant said...

That's the first thing I thought when I saw ceri's pictures too. I have also felt a little queasy, talking to her on the phone while she is riding her bike. She seems to do it well though.

9:36 AM  
Blogger CëRïSë said...

Wait, where are the pictures in the rain? I didn't see them on Flickr.

And I'm glad to know that just imagining me doing -crazy!- things like taking pictures from my bike adds a little surge of adrenaline to your respective days.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

just reading your blog adds a tiny ray of sunshine and spice to my otherwise mudane existence. where are the photos in the rain??

12:00 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

the images would load when i tried last night and i got irritated and canceled the whole thing. i'll try again this evening.

imagining leah driving with binoculars both scares and humors me.

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, not sure if you check old entries, but I have a GREAT way to fix fresh green beans. Steam them till bright green, then fry them in butter and garlic (best if fresh-squeezed) for only a few minutes. This is FANTASTIC...and worth the buy of the luring green beans at the grocer.

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home