Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Destructive Tendencies

Amazingly, the interview went well. So well, that there are really no extraordinary stories to tell about it. I didn't embarrass myself, I didn't insult the company or the interviewer, and I acted confident, rather then nervous. However, before getting my hopes up about getting the job, I have to remind myself that they are looking for someone with experience, and preferably someone with a masters in architecture. Clearly, one could see that my resume shows no architectural experience, yet the interviewer kept asking about it, as if I was keeping it a secret. "Okay. You've got me. I AM working in a design firm! I just wanted you to ask a thousand times!" But I went and I showed them my work (gulp) and told them what I wanted to gain from the experience. Unfortunately, though, the entire time I was sitting there the critical part of my brain kept up a steady barrage on the side that was trying to answer; "you can't do this.why are you here.this will kill you.their work is awful.you HAVE a job do you need to get another one?just get up and walk out. you tried, that's all that matters." And on and on while my anxiety level shot through the roof. I stayed and was comforted with the parting remark of, "Well, we haven't found anyone yet..." To which, I must have raised my eyebrows asking, "yet as in, up to today, or are we counting the last hour in that statement?" He fumbled, tried to explain, and left things at two more interviews to go in the next two weeks, you'll hear from me then. I'm saying maybe I will and probably I won't.

This weekend was a movie bonanza for me. Four movies from Friday night to Sunday afternoon: The new Wallace & Gromit, Exorcism of Emily Rose, Fargo, and Mr. & Mrs. Smith.

Wallace & Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit was cute and cheesy...um, no pun intended.

Exorcism of Emily Rose, I was totally prepared to have the pants scared off me, but it didn't happen. Next time I'd like to see more demon possession.

Fargo, I should have seen it sooner.

Mr. & Mrs. Smith, how can you go wrong with two beautiful people shooting guns and driving wrecklessly? It makes me want to be rich and beautiful...I'd see it again.

6 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

i love the scene in Mr and Mrs Smith where they're driving the mini-van while conducting a gun battle on the freeway. not only is its total implausibility appealing, but the dialog is funny and so well-timed.

and let me be the first to say: YOU HADN'T SEEN FARGO YET??!! i love that movie. i saw it in, like, 1996 or something. and yes, i'm aware that i just typed "like" in that sentence. it was meant to draw attention to my total disbelief.

6:38 AM  
Blogger bryant said...

I was trying to convince Ceri to watch it but she didn't think it would be good.

8:28 AM  
Blogger CëRïSë said...

...Because I had accidentally walked in on THE WORST SCENE (even those who haven't seen the movie are probably familiar with this) and couldn't really fathom how the rest of the movie could redeem itself. If you all can convince me, maybe I'll try it--but in my head Fargo is all darkness and cold.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

The thing about that worst scene is that by the end of the movie, you're so completely acclimated to the ironic (hip?) nature of all the violence and anger that it actually doesn't seem scary at all. I won't go so far to say it's funny, but it's not repulsive.

8:33 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

i laughed, it's a foot with a sock on. how come you would would only take the shoes off in that situation?

9:12 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

yeah, ok, i laughed too...it's funny when he's trying to force the leg/foot into the chopper with a piece of wood.

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home