Sunday, October 30, 2005

Blast OFF!


3-2-1 Contact was one of my favorite television shows when I was little. I think I only saw a few episodes and actually, I can't remember a single one, just that I know I liked it. The theme music was catchy too, but again, I can't remember what it sounded like. Another favorite show was the one where a man wore a full-bodied leotard with the body's major organs on it. He was white and had curly hair grown out into a puff-ball. I think he would sing and dance about staying healthy. I watched with a mixture of utter fascination and horror. His show came on just about the time mom and I had to leave to pick Leah up from school.

A friend recommended The Alchemist to me, even going so far as to lend the book to me, a known book thief. She told me how it was "life-changing" I had to read it. I was almost finished with it, somewhere in the last chapter, when I though, "Hmmm. I've read this before."

The Big Lebowski, the scene where they throw the ashes over the cliff, "oh yeah, I have seen this."

I still remember the first time I heard a recording of Bob Dylan singing Lay Lady Lay. It was a song I listened to most of my senior year of high school. And even now, hearing it brings back memories of the stage curtains in the auditorium as well as the seats in the touring bus. The song is scarlet red and turquoise blue in my mind.

11 Comments:

Blogger CëRïSë said...

YOU may not remember how the 3-2-1 Contact theme goes, but I'll probably have it my head for the rest of the day.

6:22 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

I loved Mathnet. But then, I do tend to love ridiculous things. On the subject of associations, I can't listen to Meatloaf's "Bat Out Of Hell II" without wanting to play VGA Planets, a Sci-Fi, turn-based empire building game that yes, actually ran on a 286. Anyway, I'd always listen to the one while I played the other. It just feels wrong now to seperate them. And yet, this relationship is completely created and sustained in my mind and not by social agreement the way words like doe and fawn colocate. What's amazing to me is that the shared media experiences of our generation create such semantic relations, like "powers" and "grayskull".

8:25 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

what about the song in Square One TV about "perpendicular lines"...i'll never forget that one. or 3-2-1 Contact either. i loved how they timed the theme song to line up with that water droplet hitting the pool of water on the first syllable of CON-tact in the song.

8:33 AM  
Blogger bryant said...

I liked reading rainbow but I can't remember anything about it. And the one with the trains. And Captain Kangaroo.

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember an episode of 3-2-1 Contact where a little boy with huge sunshades said, "The Tropics are HOT!" over and over again throughout the show. He was obviosly thinking he was VERY cool. It's funny, though, since that's the only thing I remember...Except for the show about making rubber from trees. Classic.

3:14 PM  
Blogger CëRïSë said...

Oh, "Perpendicular Lines"! I remember that one too. And "Neighborhood Superspy."

4:21 PM  
Blogger Daniel said...

Lay Lady Lay, has always been red with some yellow accents for me too. Beck's Odelay is always with Civilization II, and Sim City 2000 is with the mid-nineties goo goo dolls, gin blossoms and such.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

i am really trying to go home and go to bed, but a 3-2-1 CONTACT! reference cannot go without a comment. was it square one that had the detectives tuesday and friday? i loved that show. but like you, i remember nothing of them. but reading rainbow...

6:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lay lady lay is one of the most beautiful songs i've ever heard. and i'm not just saying that because i'm obsessed with bob. it makes me feel happy when i hear it. i don't know how else to describe it. it's just a feel good kind of song.

"whatever colors you have in your mind
I'll show them to you you,
and you see them shine"

the colors i picture are always kind of gold and earthy in nature when i listen to it.

i remember that guy on pbs in the organ bodysuit too. what a weirdo. i always knew something was not quite appropriate about that even as a little kid. it kind of still creeps me out a little.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Schlomo said...

ooh, I loved 3-2-1 Contact.. they just don't make tv like they used to. I too was intrigued by the body organ guy. I used to hide behind a pillow when he was on but still watch him. I also miss Powerhouse. I'm not sure why, but I do.

11:14 PM  
Blogger sooz said...

3-2-1 contact was awesome. i used to love kids incorporated too (but that one was a guilty pleasure, i admit).

8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home