Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Therapy

I turned in my thesis yesterday, to the grad college, for good. I burned the DVDs and printed the labels* without a hitch. I walked down to the grad college with gray skies and a light sprinkle. I had to wait for the thesis checker, but not more then five minutes and then after a 30 second check he said everything was fine except I needed to buy a second folder. After listening to all the horror stories about this process and how I haven't had any problems I said, "That was anticlimactic." He then shook my hand, said congratulations and said that they hadn't installed the confetti cannon yet. I shrugged and left to go next door to buy the second folder.

And then I realized that, on this important day, I had left my wallet at home. The hurdle between getting my masters degree and not was about two dollars that I did not have. I knew my roommate was at school so I walked back to the architecture building to find her. Of course she wasn't in grad studio and no one had seen her for awhile. I headed up to junior studio to see if I could find anyone to bum a couple bucks from. Luckily David, my adviser, was printing and after listening to my pathetic story gave me five dollars. "It's a gift." And now I'm done.

Today I got the shoes I ordered on Monday. After looking at Asics Tigers for years my sister beat me to buying some, so I was provoked into keeping up. Turns out buying things makes me feel great. Now I just need to get my fixed gear up and running and then I can catch the tail-end of the hipster scene.


Last Saturday I went to Chicago; Hyde Park and the University of Chicago (where my debit card was mysteriously declined), the Midway to Jackson Park, the Museum of Science and Industry, and then down Wabash to a hostel near the Art Institute. We drove by IIT (Mies) and I got to see the new Koolhaas student center.

Hi Robie House. The tour of you was horrible, fortunately I didn't have to pay for it; also our tour guide had a mysterious lump on the side of his belly, like the size of half a cantaloupe sticking out there.


We also got into the Museum of Science and Industry for free because we got there an hour before it was going to close. I spent most of my time at the model railroad exhibit. Two thirds of it is Chicagoland with rest the expanse west to Seattle. In this model Seattle is pitifully rendered more or less as a backwater in comparison with the details of Chicago. That being said, every time I go to Chicago I love it a little more.


Across the street from Jackson Park.





*I did learn, however, that the new Microsoft Office does not have Futura as a font choice. I had to make the effort to accept that the font on my labels will never match the rest of my thesis.

6 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

Hey! That's great...I'm sure you feel good now.

Re: the Asics. I see, however, that you beat me to posting a picture of your hot new shoes.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Misty said...

Yay for thesis completion. I do find it ironic that a $2.00 folder was standing in your way of being officially done.

Are you going to come visit us at the end of May? Ceri and David might come, too.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Curly Sue: I knew I had to act fast.

Misty: I haven't really thought past graduation, but I'd love to see you guys.

3:27 PM  
Blogger CëRïSë said...

I loved that museum when I visited it as a kid!

Hot shoes picture.

Congrats on being officially official!

And, yes, you definitely need to come visit Davenport at the end of May. And maybe Lincoln, too! Seriously.

8:39 PM  
Blogger strovska said...

1. congratulations!
2. i love the shoes. see if you can get an oafish driver to yell at you while wearing them; you have to catch up with your sister on that front too.
3. fie on microsoft for removing futura. what did you use for the labels?

10:20 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

I used Helvetica...not bad, but still not my favorite font.

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home