Sunday, April 12, 2009

Question

So I've used pandora.com for awhile and have been mostly happy with the results.* But a few weeks ago I decided to give last.fm a try; they had Ryoji Ikeda's Dataplex album and I wanted to listen to it before I bought it (liked it, bought it). But here's my question, why when I try to listen to an artist's station do they play the artist I've selected only once? For example, I wanted to listen to Andrew Bird, I typed in "Andrew Bird" into their station finder and although the first song it played was Andrew Bird, it didn't play another one while I listened (probably an hour, if not longer). I'm just wondering if there's a reason for this, or if it's only happening to me.


*Except they have a proclivity on some stations** for playing U2 every other song.

**Not the U2 station either.

3 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

Well, I have that problem on Pandora sometimes. Like if I wanted Hank Williams, they play one HW song and then fill the rest of the time with Eddy Arnold.

If you can imagine...

6:39 AM  
Blogger CëRïSë said...

I haven't tried Last.fm, but have noticed that Pandora does a similar thing; I got a message about how it has something to do with their usage agreement with the artists/labels. I got the impression that it would violate their terms if you could choose to hear a specific song or album.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Daniel said...

Me too. Also if you try to skip too many songs they make you change the "station." Even free services are beholden to the powers that be.

pricul: text for pretty cool

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home