Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Surprise Gifts

Sometimes when I need a break from my laptop I'll sit on the steps in the arena. The afternoon sun comes in the west windows and I usually bake myself, moving with it as it sets. I spend the time reading or drawing until the sun sets or the foam sword players come in. Yesterday I did this and when I went back to my office I noticed a strange notebook on the floor. My curiosity was peaked and I circled several times before picking it up. Did David come in the window, see I wasn't there and then leave with this notebook falling out of his bag?* I didn't think it had been there earlier so I left it on the table to ask about.

Later, as I was standing at the window watching the engineers fire tennis balls from their air cannon I saw Andrew walking across the quad. He explained that he had stopped by earlier and had tossed the notebook in through the window. I told him I loved it and that it had made my day.

It's made from a record cover.





*Often, if the window is open David, my adviser, will enter and exit the office this way. Apparently, when the department head came over to see the space she did this too.

4 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

I used to know a guy who did swordfighting with those guys. He was married to a girl in music. Strange guy...

I love your office...so many interesting things happen there. Did the previous occupant finally move out?

6:17 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Nope. He's still using it as a storage room. We figured, from the layer of dust and the most recently dated materials, that he hadn't been in since 2006.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Daniel said...

Boy does that bring back memories. For some reason my mother had the piano sheet music to Cat Scratch Fever, and my four and five year old friends and I would spend inordinate amounts of time looking at the back cover wondering if it was real blood or what they used for the blood.

lative--missing verb tense

4:18 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

I spent some time looking at the back cover wondering what they used for blood, I decided that they're not real scratches. My guess is red lipstick.

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home