Sunday, February 08, 2009

Pausing Winter for a Weekend

It warmed up around here. Friday was in the 40s and Saturday it topped out at 63. And so the inaugural bike ride of 2009 was planned. We left town heading south and into the southwesterly wind and it totally kicked my ass. I was doing 8 mph and couldn't catch my breath. Most of the time I was gasping I was also thinking about pulling over to puke in the ditch, at only 8 miles per hour.* So I turned around. Going back up the gravel hill was hard (always a challenge, the highest hill around these parts) but after that I was flying. I rode in my drops and did a comfortable 18 until I hit the first stop light coming back into town. Today, I'm not that sore.**



*In the picture you can see that I'm doing 11 mph with no hands and taking pictures on a city street. If you ride to work, or school, you're doing much faster than 8 mph, that's how much I was sucking.

**I put fat, nubby mountain bike tires on the Kona for a workout commuting around town. And even though we were gone for half an hour, riding into the wind, and then fast on the way home commuting with fat mountain bike tires is hands down a better work out.


2 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

Hey, we went on a bike ride too! Of course, it was close to 70 here, but we miscalculated and had our headwind on the way back, which made me tired. Success with the new bike rack!

biony

6:07 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Headwinds on the way back are the freaking worst!

20 mph on the way out and you feel like a superhero and then you realize that you've been being pushed when you turn back and hit a wall of barely being able to pedal.

Always happens.

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home