Monday, January 12, 2009

CSI: The Breakup

Oh 2009, it turns out that I don't like you very much. I had high hopes even though you were promising to make me make some very difficult decisions about living and working. I don't like making those kinds of decisions but I was willing to overlook this fault of yours. Dear 2009 it's going to be hard not to compare you with your cousin 2008. Although not an absolutely stellar year, 2008 did deliver some pretty great stuff. There was the whole thesis presentation thing, the new bike, getting into cycling proper, teaching some pretty cool students, new friends, good times, and on and on really. Granted 2008 and I didn't start off with much of a bang but it was a love that grew from our day to day trials. I'm not sure if I can ever love you 2009.

I was open to your advances even though you threw me a nasty cold as you rolled around, even though I have a weird itchiness under my left eye, and even though you've been remarkably cold and icy. I was even willing to work through the uncertainties of the current economy with you. But today you went too far and now my trust in you is ruined. Because, 2009, this morning when I went out to my car, guess what? The window had been shot out by some punkass with a BB gun. I know it was a BB gun because I can see exactly where the BB hit my window slightly above and to the left of the sticky residue left by the tow warning. Thankfully my windows are (were?) tinted and so the shatter was held in place, but now I have to crawl in from the passenger side and every time I hit a pothole I can hear more of the glass pieces as they make their way to the bottom of the door panel. It's shitty to get your window shot out, by the way, because not only is it highly inconvenient they're also expensive to replace. And almost worst of all is that now one of my windows, perhaps the most visible of the collection, will not have a bronze-ish tint on it. I, as the driver, will now be on display to the masses.

You'll have to do some groveling a more than a few late-night phone calls before I'll reconsider our relationship. You should know that I'm pretty forgiving, and let's be honest we've got a long way to go with each other before we can officially call it quits. Still I thought you might have let up on me today, but you didn't. I won't go into the details but I'll refresh your memory with "registration hold" and "student account."

So 2009, I had the best of hopes for you and me working out, but as the jilted lover I'm going to have to move on out. I do not wish you well.*



*Unless of course you start treating me well and then I'll be back all over you faster then you can say I'm-not-looking-forward-to-the-rest-of-this-year.

4 Comments:

Blogger strovska said...

that's terrible. i hope 2009 is feeling appropriately chastened.

putorab

1:56 PM  
Blogger David said...

Good luck getting out of this relationship. I hear he's a stalker.

12:07 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

That's worse than having rodents eat your electrical system. Will your insurance pay anything?

pologing

3:26 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Yeah every morning when I wake up, there he is...

LAH, I'm not sure if this is worse than having your electrical system eaten by rodents. And no, the insurance will not cover this.

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home