Thursday, January 08, 2009

Snacks as Fashionwear

For a long time I've been very anti-sweatshirt assuming that if I'm cold and need another layer I'll just add a sweater. Sweaters, even the ones with holes and those that have been accidentally shrunk in the wash, look more finished than the sweatshirt while accomplishing the same goals. A sweater is perfectly acceptable to wear around the house and while working on messy projects; ones made from wool have the added benefit of being flame resistant. And so for years I've worn holey and oddly shrunken sweaters instead of sweatshirts to look a little more put together while catching myself of fire.

In the past year I've twice broken my stance on sweatshirts by buying two of them. The first was really too awesome to pass up at the Goodwill. It's a brown hooded number with Helsinki spelled across the front in orange letters. Yesterday I broke my rule again at the same Goodwill. This time I impulse bought (because I can't foresee any situation where I might wear this shirt. Yes, even around the house.) a white shirt that's not quite your average sweatshirt. It's cut from a thinner material and is longer and leaner than usual and it still has a front pouch for keeping hands warm. The added length is needed because the entire front is filled with large black letters spelling out slim jim. I'd never paid close attention to the Slim Jim font and logo before*, but my goodness, it's really great typography. The slim is on top of the jim (no jokes) and the letters align in what could be called a perfect array. The s gets left out so that the j curves beneath the l, the i's are showcase creating the center line, and the m's are stacked on top of each other holding down the end. If this wasn't perfect enough, there's a registered trademark logo down at the corner of it all it's printed so that half of it is on the hand warming pocket and the other half is off. This half on and half off is almost nauseatingly wonderful and is what made my mind up about buying the shirt and breaking my sweatshirt rule yet again.



*I've never eaten a Slim Jim either, the recognition comes from going in to gas stations to pay for gas and the ubiquitous stand of Slim Jims by the cash register, back when going in to pay for gas was common.

5 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

Pictures!

rewth

6:00 PM  
Blogger strovska said...

it is a great logo. i feel like a Food Snob for having missed that all these years. this advertisement i found isn't bad either:

http://kungfurodeo.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/slimjim_werewolf.jpg

moducka

8:56 AM  
Blogger strovska said...

wavorec (!?)

8:56 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Satisfy my Meat Tooth! YEAH!

10:52 AM  
Blogger CëRïSë said...

So much awesome in this post! I, naturally, was most fond of the flammability references.

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home