Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Things and Other Things

I got unceremoniously kicked out of my studio space this semester and so I've been alternating between my adviser's office and my house to work. I'm not getting much done because of this, but then again that's not unusual. In the meantime my adviser has been trying to get us a space dedicated to our (really his) project. It turns out that our department has lots of extra spaces around campus, but they're all being used by people who no longer teach at our university, are retired, or are stockpiling old and worthless computer equipment.

The most recent development is that we might get the office of a retired professor. His stuff is still crammed into this spare office, but it doesn't appear that he has even set foot on campus in over a year and rumor has it he originally needed this office solely to park his recumbent bike. There's a computer (seems operable and it's a Mac) in the office and old student projects and slides are neatly organized on all the horizontal surfaces. There's also a thick layer of dust. If we're willing to risk the wrath of this retired professor and move all of his stuff we could maybe be in this space by the end of the week. And best of all the office is in the Stock Pavilion.* So this, if the office works out, is what I could look at when I eat my lunch.**


Although I'm afraid by gushing about this space working out that it might not work out at all. I'm still waiting with my fingers crossed.



*Is also wonderful because it smells like dirt when you walk into the building and the office has absolutely huge north facing windows.

**This is also an old picture that, I think, I've posted before (the Stock Pavilion being, like, one of my favorite places on campus). I thought I had another one with an odd grouping of a conference table and chairs in the middle of the arena, but I can't find it. Most likely I deleted it off my camera before downloading it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

I remember you posting one of the pavilion, but not one with table and chairs.

How cool to have an office there, but I won't get excited so I don't jinx it.

roxya

12:21 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Aw. Thanks big sis.

3:53 PM  
Blogger strovska said...

Stock Pavilion!

the idea of having a professorly office was really the only thing that caused me to consider College Professor as a career option. when i found out it was highly competitive i decided i should leave it to more legitimately motivated people.

plats (why does blogger have to remind me i'm at work?)

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home