Wednesday, March 04, 2009

When I'm not trying to graduate...

...I'm thinking about bike paint colors.

My single speed, the old blue Mercier, has been disassembled for the past year and a half with her parts scattered between several garages and the back seat of my car. And after looking at the pock-marked paint on the stripped frame for so long I've been convinced she needs a new paint job. The blue that she already is is beautiful, but blue bikes are a dime a dozen it seems. So what color?

I've already got a scarlet bike and a black bike so I need a color that will coordinate with the others (obviously). The red Masi has gold accents (bottle cage!) and the Smoke has flat gray accents. They both have tan/cork bar tape. In my amassed collection of parts for the Mercier, I've picked up black bar tape, this was a mistake on my part because the bike came with a brown leather seat (Can I have black leather bar tape and a brown leather seat? I'm not sure...). Although she does have black lug working I've never cared for the combination of black and blue (there are some exceptions to this).

So, after all this deliberation I decided on either a matte gold, or a shiny, metallic green. But after LAH pointed out that if I included purple I could have a mardi gras bike I decided to reconsider. Also, the green I want is hard to find. Gold paint is easier to come by, but it would take a lot and thus be slightly more expensive then I'm willing to pay (this is getting really complicated and I'm surprised that you're still reading). So today after some research at Fixed Gear Gallery and winding up at a cycle clothing site*, I think I'm going to go with a creamy white, leaving the lug work its original black. I hoping for a classic look, a little used, but also cleaned up and ready for a night on the town.

And I guess this is a rather detailed explanation of where my afternoon went to.


*You have to look past the pants.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

Oh, but I do like his boots. And is he getting ready to play the harmonica?

1:59 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

I'd like to think that he's ridden his bike out to an old industrial site to play the harmonica, although I can't be for sure.

Nice boots and nice pants.

2:11 PM  
Blogger CëRïSë said...

I was thinking it would be nice if you just went with brushed silver--stripped, buffed, sealed. You don't see those every day (though Google has some nice images...).

Gold bottlecage!

8:40 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

of course i continued reading...i buy EVERYTHING based on color.

8:01 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Leah?! I saw on your flickr page that you had a baby. Wow.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

It is true. I do have a baby! He's a funny one too. Hope all is well. Love your blog! I started a baby blog (don't make fun)...thecohenreport

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home