Monday, November 21, 2005

"The Piano Has Been Drinking"

The Office Depot delivery guy looks like Tom Waits. He was also singing a Christmas song when I passed him on the sidewalk this morning.

I was early to work today, meaning I rode in morning traffic as opposed to the no traffic around nine thirty. While stopped at a light a suburban pulled up next to me and the window rolled down. I was getting ready for a heckling from the driver and the resulting fist fight, but instead the woman told me a piece of paper had flown out of my pocket or bag. She added that it was business card sized. It was very nice of her to tell me but now I have to wonder what I lost and when I was just going to forget about it, my debit card went missing. Even though I'm pretty sure my card is probably in the coat I wore yesterday, I had to go back and look. There was nothing that I could see in the four lanes of one-way traffic that resembled either a business card or a debit card. But it got me thinking, no, not about the kindness of strangers, but about how I should have business cards printed up for my imaginary business and those could fall out of my bag for strangers to find.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Catchy, but what are your plans when they call?

12:41 PM  
Blogger CëRïSë said...

"The resulting fist fight" made me laugh out loud.

And I guess I'd never actually seen Tom Waits before. I'm totally disappointed.

dezedrdo

12:44 PM  
Blogger Daniel said...

Ceri, I think you'd like Coffee and Cigarettes, Tom and Iggy have a great scene.
Ellen, I thought you didn't have a job anymore?

6:09 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

If I met someone who looked like Tom Waits, I think I'd be more scared than of the SUV stopping. But then, at least with the SUV, I know God is on my side.

You should put the phone number of a pizza place or something on the cards, then stop in one day and ask if you'd got any messages.

8:43 PM  
Blogger CëRïSë said...

Daniel, you're at least the third person to tell me that--it's on the movie list for the winter holidays!

11:56 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

i've been wanting to watch coffee and cigarettes lately too. i think it's because i see students smoking everyday near our little coffee dispense machine. i wanna know what it's all about, yo.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

tom waits is adorable. and i would recommend coffee and cigarettes as long as you don't feel the need to watch the whole movie. just skip to the conversations you want to see. along with tom waits and iggy pop, i would suggest billy murray and the some of the guys from the wu-tang clan (can't remember which ones, much less how to spell their names).

5:07 PM  
Blogger Daniel said...

RZA and GZA, pronounced rizza and gizza. Roberto Benini (sic) has a fun conversation too.

sunuumqz

5:33 PM  
Blogger sooz said...

cate blanchett's most brilliant work of all time is in coffee and cigarettes, IMO. jim jarmusch is a genius! and yes, i totally agree. tom waits is adorable.

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home