Sunday, November 20, 2005

"Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey"

And my wish kind of came true from Friday night. I got see a fight on Saturday. My friend had picked me up to go over to Grant's Thanksgiving get-together and she was dropping me off when we saw a woman walking through the church parking lot across the street from my apartment. Jen interrupted with, "Is she wearing an evening gown?" The woman was, it was sparkling with sequins, strapless and short. She wasn't wearing a coat or shoes and she would throw her head back and then stumble to her knees. Of course we turned the car off and rolled the window down to see what we could hear. She was sobbing; audible from half a block away. That's when a white car pealed into the parking lot squealing to a stop behind her. There was shouting and she drunkenly sobbed, "Well, if you DON'T have MY ring!" And then she stumbled around the corner of the church and the car squealed after her. I was waiting for the thump of a body being hit by a car, but it never came. And by the time Jen and I decided to walk around the church to see if they were still fighting, they had left. We then, speculated on the preceding events. Where did she come from? And why was she wearing an evening gown? Were punches going to be exchanged when they got home? Where was the ring?

Earlier in the evening, when we had to go around the Thanksgiving table and say what we were thankful for, I said I was thankful for the small, beautiful things in the world. I guess I'd also add that I'm thankful for stars to wish on and when those wishes come true.

2 Comments:

Blogger Daniel said...

"Mother Superior jumped the gun." So is a sequined, inebriated woman one of life's beautiful things, or don't you share those with us?

8:17 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

I almost want to write a poem about that scene. It's lovely.

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home