Saturday, November 24, 2007

Ignatious = Luke

Here are two of my favorite quotes from A Confederacy of Dunces.

-Part of a journal entry. It's the second sentence that I particularly like.-

In spite of all to which they have been subjected, Negroes are nonetheless a rather pleasant folk for the most part. I really have had little to do with them, for I mingle with my peers or no one, and since I have no peers, I mingle with no one.

-This is a letter written by the main character to one of his history professors. The first line is my favorite because he gets right to the point.-

Your total ignorance of that which you profess to teach merits the death penalty. I doubt whether you would know that St. Cassian of Imola was stabbed to death by his students with their styli. His death, a martyr's honorable one, made him a patron saint of teachers.

Pray to him, you deluded fool, you "anyone for tennis?" golf-playing, cocktail quaffing pseudo-pedant, for you indeed need a heavenly patron.

Although your days are numbered, you will not die as a martyr--for you further no holy cause--but as the total ass which you really are.

ZORRO

4 Comments:

Blogger CëRïSë said...

Pseudo-pendant or -pedant? (Because my own tendencies are toward the latter..)

And that first line did make me laugh out loud--"Your total ignorance of that which you profess to teach..." Been there.

wimdnmp

8:33 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Thanks for alerting me to Buy Nothing Day in 2005 (http://packlight.blogspot.com/2005/11/holiday-international-buy-nothing-day.html).

I wrote about it again this year (www.packlight.blogspot.com).

So your literary post leads me to ask, "Jeff, you talk of simple living, but do you know enough about it to save you from the death penalty?" Kind of a snappy-fun question.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

I started "A Confederacy of Dunces" a couple weeks ago but haven't finished it. I get so upset at Ignatious, but I've also heard that we hate in others what we see in ourselves, so that bodes ill.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Woah. Scott's still alive.

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home