Saturday, November 17, 2007

Ignition, or I should explain this trip I'm on

So this trip is the site visit for my thesis project. I am driving around northeastern Colorado, western Nebraska, and southeastern Wyoming looking at missile silos. The missile silos are four Minuteman III missiles, part of the United States' TRIAD of defense.

They look like this:



I flew into Denver this morning from Indianapolis and drove straight to Sterling where I stocked up on food, water, and mini DV tapes. From there I quickly entered the, approximate, middle of nowhere. Once there I spent the day driving from missile silo to missile silo and documenting the process.

Approximate middle of nowhere:




Late this afternoon I ended up at Pawnee Buttes, in the Pawnee National grassland and after having a mostly cloudy day with sprinkles the sun came out along with some rainbows. Now I'm in Sidney, Nebraska mostly exhausted and totally happy.

Me, totally happy:



The buttes of which I speak and of which my head is blocking in the last picture:

8 Comments:

Blogger CëRïSë said...

Wow--those Sidney pictures are fabulous.

8:16 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

It's not Sidney. It's somewhere 16 miles south east of Grover, CO. Getting there involves a gravel highway...no joke.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Misty said...

Those are very striking pictures of the landscape. What is that you are trying to learn from/about the missile silos. We have a friend that wants to buy an old one and live in it. His wife isn't so keen on that, though.

7:15 PM  
Blogger strovska said...

wow, i love those buttes.

also: i would like to read your thesis when you're done, because i'm having a very hard time picturing what it's about. (geomancy! gromas! missile silos! it's fun to say.)

8:42 AM  
Blogger blanche rockabilly said...

those are awesome pics! kind of haunting. and i plan on updating very very soon...

2:37 PM  
Blogger blanche rockabilly said...

btw, that one pic of you amoungst the missle silos looks like a painting. and i really like that yellow pig you found. i have a friend who collects antique ceramic pigs and she would be very jealous of you.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Hey Nelle,

Thanks for the photos. It's nice to see where you were. I didn't realize that this trip would make you so happy.

Have you read the essay about missile silos by Barbara Kingsolver?

7:05 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

LAH, look at where I'm at. Wouldn't you be totally happy there too?

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home