Friday, January 26, 2007

I Make Enemies Much Faster Then I Do Friends

Today, for studio we had to write a paper on three keywords. They were:: dance/Darfur/design, taken in that order.

My friend Matt was sitting beside me and when the professor asked him to talk about what he had written about regarding design, Matt asked if he could just read what he wrote. The professor said it was fine unless anyone objected. As a joke one guy said he did object. That's when I volunteered to read it out loud for Matt. By the time I actually got to read it out loud there were two rules I had to read it with. The first was that I had to shout the word design every time I came to it. The second was that I had to read, the, like ttttthhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeee. Halfway through what was becoming a spectacle, I turned to Matt and said, "I'm so sorry." He said he forgave me, but there's always the doubt that he didn't.

7 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

grad school sounds weird.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

it's the william penn building. i think it used to be an office. i like it. i wish you still lived in the area. we would be neighbors. i could walk on over any time. but you sound happy where you're at...with the high kicks and dramatic readings and all. what ever happpened to mrs. castle?

8:02 PM  
Blogger Daniel said...

I'm a bit jealous though.

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your class sounds something like Pee-Wee's playhouse, with secret words and strange rules.

11:08 PM  
Blogger strovska said...

i second angela's remark. i was wondering what led you to have to shout the word "DESIGN!" each time.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that the reason I had to read the paper with these rules is that listening to a paper being read is almost always boring. It was read two more times after my reading, but those were in the normal style of reading.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

I wish my classes had been like that. Wait, they were!

Once just before class, my seminar decided to present our papers in the form of performance art. Imagine this: Anne was "the sign", I was "culture", Stefan was "society", Ann was "the index", and Ryan was "the symbol".

It didn't make sense then, either.

Secret word: higigi

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home