Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Falling Back On the Whole Made-up Question and Answer Post

Q: Why have you only been posting pictures and links recently, have your fingers been cut off?

A: I haven't been posting the events of my life because I've come down with a severe case of self-doubt regarding my writing. I lead a boring life, and no matter how I dress it up for the blog, I imagine readers rolling their eyes and quickly clicking away from my posts. I can't stand the rejection, so I give you nothing of myself to reject, just links to interesting things.

Also, I've been busy applying to/visiting/accepting a graduate program where I'll study landscape architecture next year. Um, yay!

I'm also working on setting up another blog over at Wordpress.com. I like the layouts better and I'll be writing over there whenever I get my lazy self around to importing the archives from here to there.

Oh, and my fingers are still around, though I shut my thumb in the color-printer room's door today. The nail got bent back and it now hurts, but I'm typing this anyway.


Q: Where are you going to go to grad school?

A: I'll be feeling the noise at the University of Illinois. The most exciting part of going there is that my sister lives in Champaign-Urbana already. They're also going to pay my tuition, I haven't wrapped my mind around getting paid to go to school. Okay, I'm way excited about going back to school and I will, hopefully, kick school's ass this time around.


Q: What are some interesting things that happened last week?

A: I was late to work one morning and got stopped by 3 or 4,000 people marching to the capitol to protest the proposed immigration bill. It was fun to watch and exciting to hear the crowd chanting, what I thought was, "Ce-sar Pel-li! Ce-sar Pel-li!" I could not come up with the connection between immigration reform and an Argentinean architect (connection: he went to UIUC), but whatever, more power to the protest, right? Nope. When I looked up the story in the local paper I found out what they were really chanting...Si se puede. Ah, it makes so much more sense.

Then later, as I was assiduously searching for images of Stephen Colbert, a professor from UIUC called to convince me to study at Illinois. She was the first person I told that I would officially be going there. I think she was glad she didn't have to do much convincing, in fact, she told me she hadn't eaten lunch yet.

Myspace.com is the devil and I hate it. I've been having dreams about nose-jobs because of it.



Q: Are you still employed? And if so, how often do you steal other people's print-outs off the color printer?

A: I still show up for work, but I can quit anytime I want. I try to steal at least one a day, or whenever I have to go down and pick up my print-outs.

6 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

dear ellen,

i like your writing. i think you have an incredible way of sharing the mundane and the interesting. i like it when you blog.

i like the pictures too. and i have to admit, i skip the links. if i'm going to slack off at work, i try to only slack off in keeping up to date on people i know.

i think you will totally kiss ass in illinois. when are you moving there? will i see you before you leave lincoln? i hope so.

anyway, i have to proofread a workbook. i'll be seeing you.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Daniel said...

How exactly would you still be able to post anything if your fingers were cut off, by clicking the mouse with your stump or ear?

6:15 PM  
Blogger bryant said...

Ellen, I think your writing is very entertaining and I never click through without reading it. Try reading my blog sometime if you need a self esteem booster.

I hope you keep posting in Illinois and let me tell you I'm am very disappointed that you didn't choose Minnesota. Although, I heard that Michael Pollan (in addition to your advisor) might have had something to do with your decision and I guess I can understand that. Wes Jackson has been haunting me lately with his big yellow smile.

Anywho, I'm expecting that you will hunt and peck with a pencil in your teeth if you do happen to loose your fingers. The public needs Ellen's creativity.

PS. I used to steal the print-outs too. They're just too interesting.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

bryant,
do you remember when wes jackson told me i needed to go to church camp? he should haunt you, they're doing great things down there.

and thank you all for saying you read my writing. i really appreciate it.

9:02 AM  
Blogger strovska said...

i like your pictures and links, but i like your writing even more, so i hope you don't stop.

and congratulations on breaking out of quarter-life-crisis-dom (if you indeed were ever in it) and getting into school. i'm very jealous of the fact that you'll be in the same place as your sister (seeing as i am not in the same place as either my sister or yours).

2:01 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

i'm sorry, i just busted out laughing because my sister said that you will totally "kiss ass" in illinois. i hope you would rather kick ass than kiss it, though you could do either one i'm sure.

still laughing.

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home