Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Turn-Around Time

For reasons I won't go into (maybe I lied about something and now don't want to face up to the situation), I'm having to avoid the janitor at work. Last night when I was taking the long-cut to the door, just to avoid him, he was standing in the hallway. I froze, deciding if I wanted to past him and risk an awkward conversation or to dart down the other hall that leads to the other door. I darted and then ran down the hall out the other door down the back stairs to fourth floor where I took the main stairs out of the building. Unfortunately, I think he saw me dart away but god repaid me in full not 30 minutes later.

Since my dishwasher is broken and lazy, and now all the dishes are dirty, I had to go to the
co-op to find foods that required no cooking and only a spoon to eat. Pulling into a parking space with the sun in my eyes, I saw that the car next to me had a KEXP.org bumpersticker (a fellow pledge member!). As I parked my car I realized the owner of the bumperstickered car was walking toward me and I would be getting out of my car as he got to his. And I actually recognized him from around town, the latest sighting was at the Of Montreal concert two evenings earlier because he was there with one of my friends. Under normal conditions I would either pretend to be occupied with something in my car and wait until he leaves before I exit. This to avoid a possible awkward situation. But Tuesday evening, I got out. Not only did I get out and confront the situation I said, "I see you listen to KEXP" and then we had a short conversation about the radio station.

Usually I don't talk to people I don't know, especially people that are cute, and he was. He was a hipster type, wearing a blazer, jeans, cowboy boots and nerdy glasses. And instead of making a connection with another person who listens and donates to the same radio station I do, I think I just succeeded in scaring him.

4 Comments:

Blogger m said...

scaring him is a good thing. it makes you interesting and mysterious. at least that's what i tell myself. i've scared many a guys in my day... he he

9:13 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Nice work, Nelle. But that's the problem with hipsters. They're easily frightened. You have to approach them like a wild animal. Their hipness makes them skittish.

7:53 AM  
Blogger strovska said...

austin is overrun with hipster-types right now (for sssxxwwxxwsssswhatever they call it), and i couldn't put my finger on what was wrong with them. now i know--they're skittish.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

i guess that's why i like talking to them. i get my kicks out of startling the skittish.

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home