Sunday, February 19, 2006

PowerBall!

I didn't win the 300 million, but I did profit off the powerball lottery in other ways.

This afternoon at the coffee shop Grant, Jen, and I were approached to be interviewed by a Good Morning America crew. The bright light and camera scared us and we all jumped back from the table we were at. Instead of leaving the camera-shy alone, the interviewer must have seen me imagining the glory of being on TV flashing through my eyes. She told me to look directly at her and started asking questions.

Obviously, I was nervous. Was I slouching? Did I look alright? Regardless of how I looked, it didn't help me not make a fool out of myself when I started talking. Among other things, I said that the winner could have won 3,000 dollars and I would have thought that was a lot of money and that I didn't really have any concept of 300 million dollars. I went on to say that I thought the winner and I could be very good friends. I didn't know how the money would affect the community so Grant jumped in and said the winner would probably become the head football coach or a state senator. She asked me to spell my name and then left the camera man to record us sitting at our table talking. Continuing our conversation from before was extremely hard because we were gossiping about former classmates, so we decided to talk about how I hadn't washed my hair this weekend and how Grant's dog drags his butt on the carpet.

As usual, we thought of better things to say after the crew left. One of the baristas stopped by our table and said she was interviewed as well. In her interview she wanted to say that if she had won she would donate to the Republican party, but would follow the statement with a sarcastic laugh. But then she figured they'd cut out the laugh and she'd just look like a supporter. Instead, she went with a typical answer of spending the money on school. Grant said he should have said he would spend his money on a GBLT foundation to promote gay marriage in the state.

So if you want to see some smart-asses in Lincoln we might be on Good Morning America sometime, I'm assuming Monday morning.

11 Comments:

Blogger Scattering said...

Hilarious. (If I had TV I'd definitely check it out.)

6:19 AM  
Blogger CëRïSë said...

Oh, me too... someone out there must have a TV (and VCR?).

7:47 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Just wait till John (Stewart) sees that shot of you, you'll be on your way to becoming the next Daily Show Reporter. You're busting out of this town! congrats. Hey i thought we were trying on your clothes this weekend? I called you Saturday but didn't hear back from you, you must have been busy getting famous. Oh and about borrowing my little purple suitcase, i forgot I will be in chicago, leaving this Thurs. and will need it. But I have the larger purple one if you want it.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

I watched GMA for as long as I could stand it. I'd forgotten how irritating those morning shows are. Anyway, there was a long spot on the Lincoln lottery right at 7 am (see how much I love you??), but they only showed interviews with the owners and employees of the convenience store where the ticket was bought. I watched intermittently until I had to leave at 8:15, but I didn't see you.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

Oh, and didn't you notice that I finally put a photo on my blog profile?

10:50 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

dragonfly, i did notice you had added a photo to your profile. i also notice you are 99 years old (making you older than both our grandmothers) and that you are a gemini, which i never knew. i've learned a lot about my big sister today.

and thanks for watching good morning america for me. even if i had a TV i still would have slept through it.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

oh and that's one of my favorite pictures of you, my other favorite is the one eric took while you guys still lived in tulsa and you're giving him a go-to-hell look.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

But I don't look 99, right? Basking in the cool glow of a computer screen for so long has given me this healthy, well-preserved look.

wunzfut!

1:40 PM  
Blogger strovska said...

if i'd read this earlier i would have watched!

1:41 PM  
Blogger bryant said...

I wish I had been there.

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh man, this is must see tv.

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home