Thursday, April 06, 2006

A Ride Home

This week is the Nebraska FFA convention in Lincoln. I really don't know anything about FFA just that hundreds of teenagers swarm downtown in dark blue corduroy jackets with gold embroidery on the backs saying where they're from. This morning the Sandhills group blocked the bike rack and this evening, as I rode past the Cornhusker, another herd was standing on the corner waiting to cross the street. I was trying not to stare or even make eye contact, though I desperately wanted to take their picture, when I heard a scratchy-voiced adolescence boy yell out, "Hey! Nice. Bike."

Teenaged FFA boys, they know how to flatter.

7 Comments:

Blogger bryant said...

I remember those blue coats. It's wierd.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm always tempted to yell out "As you wish!" to them.

6:44 AM  
Blogger strovska said...

my dad was in the FFA--they had to castrate pigs for a final project, if i remember right. i didn't realize it still existed. i'll have to ask him if they had blue coats.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

i recently read an article about how a biology teacher got suspended or fired for showing a class of teenagers how to castrate a pig. times have certainly changed, for the worse.

2:45 PM  
Blogger CëRïSë said...

I remember you and Misty laughing at me when I had no idea what the strange teen-aged aliens in blue were. And there's nothing like the called-out compliment whilst riding to let you know you've still got it...

6:05 PM  
Blogger Daniel said...

There is also FHA, Future Homemakers of America. Essentially the domestic side of 4-H. The guys in that are the same guys that are nursing or elementary ed majors in college because they can get chicks. The teenage boys may know how to flatter cyclists, but their sponsors have no idea how to drive. I was coming home from work on L and they were slowly weaving between lanes trying to follow one another in their rental vans. And this is me (not the Jeff Gordon of the Lincoln roadways) saying they're bad. drivers.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

When Ted was at PVA, everyone who was anyone (i.e. not my brother) was in FFA. He hated the whole thing so much and petitioned the school to start something like Future Business Men of America (he was Republican then). Either way, I'm glad I went to a school where we had none of that nonesense.

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home