Monday, December 12, 2005

Hi! I'm Ellen, and I Have ADD!

To distract myself from writing my final this weekend I checked out the book, Driven To Distraction. My professor had recommended it to me since I seem to suffer from being highly distractable and unable to "perform up to my potential." She told me she had read it before she started cognitive therapy, and that she also has ADHD. I can see the similarities between us, a quick glance around her office reveals books and papers piled everywhere, change scattered under her desk, building models tilting dangerously off the bookshelf. Yes, I'm a self diagnosed ADD sufferer. This is both a relief and a major drawback in my life. A relief because now I understand why I can't follow through with my ideas giving me hope that one day I will be able to finish things. The drawback is that I don't think my insurance will pay for the meds.

Saturday afternoon I was over at Karen's and a show ranking the top 100 SNL clips of all time was on. They had some with Richard Pryor and I sat trying to remember when he died. I thought he had died from AIDS, maybe, I couldn't really remember. I went home and to put off writing my final, I read the news.
Richard Pryor Dies, Saturday. I guess I have a weird cosmic connection to Richard Pryor.

Saturday night was supposed to be spent writing the final, but a phone call from
Scott distracted me from finishing that up. We saw Capote and the deal was if I bought his ticket I was allowed to hold his hand during the movie, but only with my gloves on. The reason I had offered to buy his ticket was because I didn't feel like walking to the ATM and then threw in the hand holding to make him uncomfortable, though I don't know if it worked. Before the movie we got curly-fries. The service was horrible and it took forever before we got them. Walking out of Arby's Scott said we were ten minutes early. I had looked at his watch and thought we were ten minutes late.

"It starts at 7:30, right?"
"Nope, 7:10."
"I guess we are ten minutes late, how did you know that?"
"I looked at your watch...but upside down, I had to guess."
"The analog part?"
"Yeah."
"Well, that's broken anyway."

I guess I also have a weird cosmic connection to the broken analog part of Scott's watch.

This morning, I caught myself repeating, I have ADD. I have ADD. I have ADD. As I walked into work this morning. It's my new identity or mantra and, either way, not much is getting done. My antidote? I Pump My Fist and Say, I CAN DO MANY THINGS!

6 Comments:

Blogger strovska said...

My mother has been diagnosing me with ADD for years now, ever since she first heard of it. Maybe I'll read that book.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ritalin made my GPA jump up quite nicely. I find I don't even have to take notes, when I can pay attention, I actually remember stuff. Through my university meds are about $30/month, no insurance.

If you really wish to make Scott uncomfortable, perhaps reading him a trashy romance novel while holding his hand?

Heh heh.

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think we have a weird cosmic connection because i was watching the 100 greatest SNL moments too! well, i guess that doesn't really constitue a "real" cosmic connection but i just wanted an excuse to "weird cosmic connection"...again.

8:22 PM  
Blogger sooz said...

i'm a self-diagnosed schizophrenic. how was capote?

9:50 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

nelle, do you really think you have ADD? i think you're just charming and distractable. i wouldn't have thought it, but lately i've been unable to get anything done, except for grading 130 essay exams in 36 hours. but there was an unavoidable deadline for that one.

7:08 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

I just got around to reading blogs (still have a few things to procrastinate about). Hmm. Your depiction of our evening with Capote is definately worthy of Truman himself. 94% recall, right?

We never did get around to our hygenic hand holding.

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home