Thursday, December 08, 2005

The Parameter Is Incorrect

Before leaving on the incredibly-out-of-the-way trip to Minneapolis I wished something interesting would happen to me once I got back. The wish came true, not after I got back, but almost immediately upon leaving Lincoln. The drive from Lincoln to Davenport was fine, the main highlight was stopping for gas and while in the restroom realizing that an effective place to hang a menu is in front of a toilet. If I had walked into the convenience store with cash I would have certainly walked out with a cup of ice cream or a chicken fried stake plus sides of coleslaw and french fries.

I found Misty and Brian's house without much trouble, though a note to all google map users, when the directions say "bear left on Northwest Blvrd." that's not going to be a merging situation, but a turn that requires stopping at a stop sign, more in the fashion of what I've always called a "turn."

The master plan of this trip outlined that Ceri and I would meet at Misty's (former roommate of mine) and then wake up early to get to Ceri's appointments in Minneapolis Thursday morning. Returning to Davenport on Friday for a nice weekend with Misty and Brian. But since the first appointment had been moved from 1:00, to 11:30, Ceri thought that leaving Davenport Wednesday night was a good idea. In retrospect, the idea could be argued as either brilliant or utter madness because not 20 minutes into our drive it started to snow. Between the time I said, "look, it's snowing." and the resulting speculations on it, the wind had picked up and I was having a hard time seeing (white-out!), steering (icy!), and not freaking out (I hate driving in general!). We left Davenport at about ten at night and didn't get to Minneapolis until six Thursday morning. My only observation was that I thought we were going to die and I was surprised we made it. Ceri's, "I didn't think we would die, but I thought we were going to spin into the ditch." Right, spin into the ditch and freeze to death.


Anyway, I had made appointments with the Landscape Architecture department so I'd have something to do while Ceri was busy with her appointments. I didn't actually know the University of Minnesota had a landscape architecture degree, but turns out, I was pleasantly surprised. I liked it. I liked the people there, and the level of work the students were producing. I hated the cold and never, have I had so many conversations with people I've just met that centered around the miracle of long underwear. That was Friday afternoon Ceri decided that she would like to drive to Misty and Brian's that night, but we didn't leave Minneapolis until five-ish. And not 20 minutes into the drive it started to snow. NOT. AGAIN. I kept saying, "I've never felt so out of control.I've. Never. Felt. So. Out. Of. Control" Partly, because I couldn't see out of the windshield and every time we stopped for gas I forgot to buy windshield washer fluid.

We got into Davenport at 1:30 a.m. and everything from there on out was wonderful. Ceri skipped out on Saturday afternoon, so it was just Misty, Brian, and I left to tear up the town Saturday night. We went to Brian's school, Palmer, and that's where the skeletons were at. Aside from that, Brian (three times I've typed Brain, instead of Brian...make that four) drove us around Davenport, which is pretty much my favorite thing to do, though no one believes me when I say that.

It's Thursday, a week since the whole trip took place and I can't really remember all the witty things I was going to write about...Since Minnesota seems so achievable, I'm going to be busier then I've been in a long time trying to get applications filled out and everything sent in or, in other words, no blogging. I have nothing ready by way of supplemental materials; statement of intent, portfolio, writing sample?, my GRE scores might not be valid anymore, and then there's the whole Christmas thing in the middle of the month.

Oh, and I'll post pictures of the trip later.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ellen said...

i should have at least read through this before i posted it...sorry. and sorry that i'm not going to do anything about it.

6:04 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

UVA! I hope you get in. I have no idea what schools are good for your field, but UVA seems to be the place to be for humanities scholarship now.

On an unrelated note, one homeleave from Dakota Academy my Dad and I were driving from Bismark to Omaha. We got into white-out conditions, couldn't see the road, we couldn't see anything except the tail lights of the car ahead of us. So, we followed them and matched their speed. That's what one should do in such situations. The odd thing, however, was that the person ahead of us was apparently a lunatic. Matching speed so we didn't lose the tail lights meant going about 80 mph.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Daniel said...

My Uncle Duane, see link in post about thanksgiving trip, lives 13 miles from UVA.

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home