Thursday, February 18, 2010

Is this ramble because spring is almost here?

For reasons I can't really explain I found myself in Macy's this past weekend and although I was only there for maybe five minutes I had to fight the urge to buy a handbag. In the short walk from the doors to the escalator, I began doubting my previous choices in catch-all accessories. Mind you, I still like my daypack, my messenger bag, and my small over-the-shoulder bag, but currently I'm carrying a reusable grocery bag to and from work.* Really, I don't have to walk far and the bag only holds my coffee thermos, lunch, and a scattering of post-it notes, but now I'm thinking it could be so much more.**

Not that I've done much to revamp my wardrobe in the past ten years,*** but now that I don't have any excuse to not be a respectable adult I've been rethinking my fashion sense. My fashion sense, up to this point, has been to buy things I like and then try to mash them all together, but this strategy only leads to a lot of t shirts, sweaters, and jeans wearing.**** I still want to keep things easy, almost to the point of uniform, and to mix in technical wear,***** and to keep things relatively cheap. To prepare, I've been spending time reading one of strovska's favorite clothing-related blogs and generally feeling that I'm going to have to devote way more time to this then I'm probably going to do. My sister is going through this too, although I couldn't find her post about trying button front shirts, I just hope that she'll start sending me her cast off shirts in the mail.



*It does happen to be from our food coop and has a very nice graphic on it, as far as reusable grocery bags go, it is quite nice.
**Quite a lot more, actually.
***or ever
****The week between christmas and New Years I wore the same thing everyday. Gray sweater, jeans, and ducks. I've worn the ducks everyday since I've gotten back from christmas in Oklahoma too.
*****I splurged on an awesome new coat. It's waterproof and windproof and I've wanted it for a few years now.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ellen said...

This goes along with my new year's resolution of being more awesome, because I'm not very awesome right now.

8:38 AM  
Blogger CëRïSë said...

Totally awesome. It's been sunny here this week, and it's making me nervous in anticipation of the Spring Crazies. But if spring brings blog rambles out of you, it's another reason to look forward to it!

9:40 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

Maybe this is why I spent two hours at goodwill the other day. Spring.

And that bag is awesome. I love it.

You're already awesome. You manage to make the gray shirt and jeans and ducks look really stylish.

The other day I was doing something and i looked down at my hands and thought, "My hands look just like Ellen's." That's good because i've always thought you had such lovely hands.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

My goodness, thank you leah. I think I got grandma Ollie's hands and unfortunately, that side of the family's nose.

7:54 AM  
Blogger strovska said...

i think wearing a gray sweater, jeans, and ducks for an entire week counts as its own version of awesome. although i do understand the wardrobe-revamp urge.

a word of caution on urban outfitters bags: i've had two, and they both had elements that were excessively flimsy (the lining, in one case, and the leather itself, in another). the one you linked to looks sturdier than my two, though.

i'm trying to work up the courage to make The Perfect Carry-all Bag out of a 70s leather jacket that doesn't fit.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Making the perfect carry-all bag from an old leather jacket is awesome!

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home