Thursday, June 22, 2006

Coded Emotions

I do not like emotional icons or emoticons, if you prefer. Yesterday I got a series of them in cryptic messages from Karen. She had been logging in and out of messenger during lunch and I received messages like this:

(Karen logs on)
"Karen: What's up?"
"Elenita: I feel like shit."
(Karen logs off)

Many minutes pass.

(Karen logs on)
"Karen: Light bulb icon"
(Karen logs off)

More minutes pass.

(Karen logs on)
"Karen: Blushing smiley face, wide-eyed in shame looking over its nonexistent shoulder icon"
(Karen logs off)

Lunch is now over.

(Karen logs on)
"Karen: Plump soccer ball icon"
(Karen logs off)

From them I have pasted together some meaning. One message I can divine from these highly descriptive emotional symbols is a retelling of what has happened at Karen's house the night before. The story, I assume, goes something like this: Karen's boyfriend has moved out taking all the light bulbs. However, she knew where he was moving and went over to his new place and confronted him about the theft. He is sheepish for being caught stealing something so trivial as her stock of light bulbs. As she leaves she kicks his dog. Even though she does love dogs, she does not feel bad for kicking this one because it is a cocker spaniel.

Or, she's asking if I want to grab dinner on Thursday at Oso Burrito (crossing my fingers the cute worker is there!!!), after kicking her boyfriend's dog, of course.

1 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Ok, well the logging on logging off can be explaind by the old Dell Server taking a few dives yesterday (hhhmmm, if only we had a Mac server this kind of miscommunication wouldn't happen). And also you missed the first part of my soccer ball message which included a cell phone icon (call my cell phone if) rainbow icon (you want to meet me at the rainbow) to play soccer. Anyway I could totally see Jim stealing lightbulbs when he moves out. I have the more expensive energy saving ones.

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home