Sunday, May 28, 2006

Last Week...

...Ceri sent me a package, well, actually she sent it the week before last week and I only got around to the post office last week to pick it up.

The package was in a Skilsaw box and after I had signed and turned to walk out drew the attention of everyone waiting in line. Men smiled encouragingly, the women commented on my new saw, "Now you can do some sawing!" "Oh Yeah!" Except I knew what was really in the box and there would be no sawing when I got home and opened it. Printing, yes. Candy eating, certainly. Even surprisingly, I could do some toweling off, but no sawing. The box was, in fact, being recycled and even though I knew this as I walked out of the Post Office, I couldn't help but smile proudly at the image I conveyed to those in line. For the walk out the door I was a home owner and maybe I was going to spend Memorial Day building a new deck, maybe I was going to saw up some fire wood, or maybe I was going to cut Mrs. Castle into manageable pieces, no matter what DIY project I was going to tackle I was well prepared, and the post office line knew it. The saw box, combined with the boredom of a slow moving post office line, had made me for a few seconds more mysterious and more fun.

4 Comments:

Blogger Daniel said...

Which is tricky, because you are already so mysterious and fun.

9:13 PM  
Blogger strovska said...

one of the big reasons i want a house is so i can have mysterious and fun Power Tools.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

Don't cut Mrs. Castle into manageable pieces!!! I've told my friends here about Mrs. Castle and Brett in particular laughed so hard he had to take his glasses off and rub his eyes. They're looking forward to meeting her.

5:01 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

Funny, because you do have a saw. Also, funny because you've got great comedic timing.

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home