Sunday, May 21, 2006

"You've got weight"

A direct quote from my friend's wife that I haven't seen since Christmas. Ah yes Wei Wei, I have gained weight, and thanks for pointing it out.

I've been in a fashion crisis for a while now.

I've been thinking that I should make an effort at wearing something other than t-shirts and jeans, yet the only clothes I have are t-shirts and jeans. The weight gain is another reason I've been sticking with the basics of my wardrobe; you know, to hide my rolls. But earlier in the spring I went so far as to vow to myself as I walked into the Salvation Army that I would leave with something a little trashy to spice up the rotation of jeans and t-shirts. And I found trashy right there on the first rack; a red sweat shirt spelling out "strange" in gold studs. It didn't have much of a neckline, more of a shoulder line, with sleeves that ended abruptly at mid-forearm and at $1.50 it might have been the trashy bargain that would start my wardrobe revolution. I gave it the benefit of the doubt going so far as to try it on, but even at a $1.50 it was just too trashy, and I know it's hard to get too trashy. It revealed my pale belly button, something I couldn't bring myself to take a picture of, so instead of embarrassing myself with the shirt on, I settled instead for an on-the-hanger shot.


So I'm still on my clothes shopping quest, an activity that quickly loses it's fun factor as soon as I open my car door to head out to the mall. Actually, I don't usually make it to the mall, the crowds of people are just too much for me, and I usually stick with second hand and thrift stores, occasionally supplementing them with online browsing. But today I found myself in south Lincoln and went in to Plato's Closet* to see what the cool kids were getting rid of. I didn't see much beyond the racks and racks of American Eagle t-shirts and a lot of Extra-Low-Rise jeans from Hollister. Not the kind of spice I was exactly looking for. But then! Deep in the black shirts (they organize by color) I found a grey shirt with pink stripes and an EAGLE! With an olive branch in its beak. It is a little strange; with elastisized gathers on the cap sleeves and a side bow on the hem, but overall it's the kind of shirt I've been looking for.


Then, a few weekends ago I bought some Adidas Sambas to replace my red sneakers as my everyday shoes. In the store I was a little nervous that they were too shiny, making my feet look disproportionately long. Though, later that night I found a quick remedy for removing all traces of newness: take one Ukrainian, add a soccer ball, then mix in a dirt field and your new shoes will look like you haven't taken them off for six months. Perfect.


I think I'm on my way out of my fashion crisis, of course, I could just come to terms with jeans and t-shirts being an acceptable wardrobe.


*Plato's Closet is a consignment store geared toward the teenaged and 20-something crowd, seemingly a demographic that only buys American Eagle t-shirts.

8 Comments:

Blogger CëRïSë said...

Wow, Ellen. I am impressed indeed. Next time you're thrifting, maybe you might find a pair of jeans in my size, to replace the ones that recently exploded? And maybe send them to me?

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, and all this time i thought plato's closet was an expensive shop for little kids, good to know poor big kids can shop there too.

11:15 PM  
Blogger strovska said...

i like the eagle thing--and i'm way too familiar with the concept of hiding rolls by Sticking to the Basics.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

how did your pants recently explode? that sounds interesting.

12:29 PM  
Blogger CëRïSë said...

Ah... well... it's just when they simultaneously wear thin in multiple locations and then suddenly fall entirely apart. Plus tragique.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

i've missed you ellen.

when you mentioned plato's closet, i immediately thought of a loud, laughing asian man with mismatched crocs and a large, baggy t-shirt. not the fashion look you're going for, me thinks.

and i totally loved the strange shirt. i think you could pull it off. maybe you could wear it over the top of a short dress. you know, the kind of dress that you wear with jeans. or maybe i've been in korea too long.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Nice duds, mi hermanita! I'm with Ceri...next time you see some impossibly long jeans, pick me up a pair. Oh yeah, those pinstripes we found at Dandelion...I let down the hems and they're fine now. I like them, but wool is kind of warm for Illinois in the springtime.

5:41 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

And I too am sadly familiar with the Tragedy of the Exploding Jeans.

5:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home