Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Three Statements

I spent the last five days writing and rewriting many variations of my statement of purpose for graduate school. All I've learned, from this writing, is that my purpose is to just be there with the specifics working themselves out over several semesters. Isn't it enough that I've chosen a discipline, do I have to write eloquently on why I made the choice? If all my statements can be boiled down into one reason why, it's pretty much that I want to read a lot, and when I'm not reading, all I want to do is cut and paste. Architecture does prepare you well for real life, or first grade. Because of architecture school, I carry with me a complex working knowledge of adhesives and what they will and will not bind. More importantly, I know how to react when a glue called Zap-A-Gap gets into the gap between your eyelids. You will not go blind, as that will be your first panicked thought. And if you act quickly enough, your lashes won't suffer too much damage, even though the first warning on the label is to "keep out of eyes." From this highly complex set of skills I'll move on to landscapes, and I'm curious to see what's waiting for me learn there. It is the misfortune of having to act professional, that I can't submit this as my statement of intent. I've covered all my bases, moving from why I want to study landscapes to what I learned as an undergraduate.

The problem with the Statement of Intent is that you have to have some pretty clear and specific notions of what you want to study while in school. My problem is that I eliminated the specifics from my academic life pretty early on, and am left wanting to study everything and I'm trying to fit everything into landscape architecture. I want to study everything and wrap it all up with landscapes. I'm stuck trying to make statements that seem like I know what I want to do.
I want to study history and theory, as well as, drawing from time to time, and on occasion, dig in the dirt. I'm getting my professional degree so I can pay off my student loans after I spend six hundred years getting my PhD. All so I can teach design classes, which brings us back to the cutting and pasting.

Another looming problem is that I have to submit a portfolio of my design work. This wouldn't be too bad, page-layout is a no-brainer, but unfortunately because of several years of sub-par academic performance, I am lacking in material to put in said portfolio. And now, with a week and a half left before the whole package is due, I have to, quick, finish all the projects I never did in school. I really like my ideas. There's going to be an interrogation room and a waterless water park in the portfolio, if time allows. I haven't reduced my misery to estimating how many mouse clicks I can make in a minute and then calculating how long it should take me to finish the projects, with the point being to prove that there is not enough time, but I'm almost there. Seems impossible, and that's getting me down.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Want to talk focus, I'm an MBA returning to design school.

Just finished my letter of intent for an application to an MLA program, so I thought I'd drop you a line.

It was arduous to say the least, but the process helped me to narrow down my broad interests and focus on what I felt was most important.

Good luck on getting finished up, it was tough for me to focus. I would advise you not to think of your statement as committing yourself to a life of studying your "intent" forever, but rather as a declaration of what is most interesting and important to you. This approach will likely lead to an accurate representation of what you will actually undertake.

Remember, no academic endeavor is static and any program worth attending will keep this in mind.

You think?
JT

7:08 AM  
Blogger strovska said...

i'm vicariously excited about the landscape architecture 600-year ph.d. plan! [naysayers aside (i.e. leah) i think you might actually have a.d.d., though. don't ask how i know, but it has something to do with personal experience with sub-par scholastic performance and last-minute applications.] anyway, here's something to supplement your adhesive knowledge: www.thistothat.com

8:19 AM  
Blogger CëRïSë said...

Ellen, this made me laugh so loudly that I had to explain my outburst by reading your first paragraph to my father, who found it equally genius. If your statement of intent is ANYWHERE as well-written as this entry, you have nothing to fear.

I've just written and submitted my own statements, though--four schools down and three left to go--and I feel your pain. Having my advisors read it made me feel much better about the entire process. I would definitely suggest it.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

thanks you guys, you are too nice. and thanks JT, i hope we're not applying at the same schools, not only is your comment well written (i'm assuming the rest of your writing is as well), but you have an MBA...an MBA!!! though, if you check back here i am curious why you decided to go into landscape architecture.

i think i have found my focus, or reasons why i want to study landscapes, i hope this gets the ball rolling.

11:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ellen,

1) an undying interest in landscapes
2 ) passion for a life well lived, for myself and others
-and-
3) the stupidity/gall to leave a "good job" job and act on #1 & 2.

You?

JT

1:13 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

i'm not quite sure of my reasons. i do love landscapes, but i think why i decided to get my MLA was my dissatisfaction i felt regarding my undergraduate degree in architecture. we talked about how pretty certain buildings were/are and not about social issues i felt were more relevant. i hope that with landscape architecture i can begin having discussion on these social issues including how spaces define our culture...and vice versa.

i applaud you for leaving a "good job," by the way.

3:24 PM  
Blogger m said...

so i found your blog via bryant's blog and i have to say you are an incredibly talented writer. if this landscape architecture thingy doesn't work out you should consider writing for a living. or maybe blogging. i heard there is big money in blogging. ;-)

10:16 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

wow, thanks mandy i wouldn't mind blogging for a living. actually, i've been reading your blog for awhile now, linking through bryant. i really enjoy it and almost left a comment. it was on the post about one of your roommates moving to nebraska and you said that the population would be 1000 since he was moving. my comment was going to be this: "not a thousand. a thousand AND one!" which could be taken as really funny or really bitchy. and to not come across as an anonymous bitch decided not to leave it. yeah. well. regardless, i like reading "the whaling wall".

6:21 PM  
Blogger m said...

sorry for poking fun at nebraska. wait. no i'm not.

your bitchy comments are welcome anytime! ;-)

7:09 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

I really want to see your plans for the interrogation room. Did I ever tell you about my first dream in German? I was being interrogated by restaurant employees. Perhaps you can use that.

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home