Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Doing Things, Instead of Doing Other Things

Dear Ben,

I don't have clearly articulated reasons for switching my blog from Blogger. They've been good to me and I'm not irritated with any aspect of the service. It's easy to use, yes, it's just, it's just...clunky, or I should say, clunkier then other blog hosting sites I've come across. In my initial investigation of WordPress, I got the impression that things were organized more efficiently. While I know I have the freedom to organize things how I want with Blogger, it's just why go to the trouble when you can start out organized? To me it seems like the PC/Macintosh split. Both computers do essentially the same things, then why not go for the aesthetics as well? So a weak point concluded, is that I like the basic organization and designs of other blog host(er)s better then Blogger's. Okay, so I am irritated with the spell checking function, why doesn't it know the word blog? Wouldn't a blogging application add that as a word? Maybe I should just learn how to spell on my own.


Bests,


Ellen


P.S. I haven't played around with WordPress much, but I'll probably check it out a lot more in the next few weeks since graduate school applications are due in January and I need a diversion. Tonight, after a nap and a cup of coffee, I'm still up at 2:00 a.m. and I have even attempted doing anything toward the applications, but I added a picture to my header! Statement of intent? Nope. Portfolio? No way. Writing sample? Check my blog!

4 Comments:

Blogger Daniel said...

Apparently you were so upset with your spell checker in Blogger, that you didn't want to run it with your new header. I'm sorry I'm such a jurk.

5:13 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Thanks for the reply, Ellen. I can understand your reasonings. And I support the aesthetically-based choosings. That's how by and large most of my choices are based.

I hope your choice is Apple. I love Apple so much. I love my Powerbook so much. If you need, I could write an entire post about why I so love.

Good luck in your blog transitioning. I hope you find something that suits all your needs and wants. Also, good luck with the grad school stuff and the life planning and the living every day to the fullest of how you're wanting to live. If ever you feel the need to find a secluded corner and take a nap, I support you.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

I'm so glad you're a Mac user. I was hoping, and kind of assumed, it seems to be in your personality. I think you should write a post about how much and why you love Apple. Though I think your sentiments would closely reflect my own, I would still like to read it. I have a theory about how Mac people shouldn't date Windows people and am slightly suspicious of Windows users. But now I've said too much.

Happy birthday! (You deserve an exclamation point.)

3:00 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Do you have any special opinion of Linux users? (Not that I use it anymore, but I once did.)

I think I've shared with you my opinions of Mac in general and don't need to re-iterate. Windows isn't great and Microsoft is evil, but when it comes down to it, I'd rather be able to choose how I interact with the computer than have decisions forced on me. Linux is the ultimate in customization, but doesn't work with all the software I want it to. Windows at least offers more options than Macs.

Having said that, I like how customizable Blogger is, but I'd like more. I should probably make my own website, but finding a free host that doesn't annoy my visitors with pop ups (or rather, those who don't have the basic sense to block such things).

Are wordpress and typepad free?

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home