Thursday, October 01, 2009

The Sunshine Grocery

To battle my melancholia this evening I headed over to the grocery store* to buy some "cheap-ass wine" for dinner tomorrow night. The melancholy was perpetuated by the rain, nothing that needs to get done right away, and general lonesomeness due to spending most of the day reading** with intermittent cleaning jags. Walking to the grocery store was refreshing so I decided to extend my walk. After reading Rebecca Solnit walking makes me think about what I'm trying to accomplish. After a couple of blocks I decided that tonight I was trying to walk away from my current life problems and though about how easy it would be to keep walking and walking and end up like Walt Whitman or John Muir.*** Like a movie unfolding, it's easy to let my imagination get the better of me while walking and listening (thanks Leah!).

Headed home Emmylou Harris started playing and I decided that it would be a good idea to listen to Wrecking Ball from start to finish while drinking the left-over white wine and perhaps crying. That being said, it was a good evening to be out and alive.





*Not the Sunshine.
**Perhaps things I shouldn't have been reading.
***Too many PBS documentaries.

3 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

Even though depressing, your email made me laugh because I've spent evenings listening to the entire Wrecking Ball album, drinking wine, and crying occasionally.

And I'm glad I could encourage your melancholy by giving your a device that can perpetuate it.

We should totally do something more fulfilling, but TOGETHER. Get to thinking about it.

7:36 AM  
Blogger strovska said...

yeah, the thought of just keeping on walking is tempting sometimes, isn't it?

8:04 AM  
Blogger CëRïSë said...

"Maybe it's just the time of year/ Maybe it's the time of man..."

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home