Monday, October 19, 2009

Mono-perfect

Since it was a gorgeous fall day I headed out for an afternoon walk.* I got to talk with some neighborhood characters, like the one-man band down the street. I've heard him all summer, a languid drum beat accompanied by an unnameable brass instrument. 'Turns out he's an old man with a long white beard and mustache and was playing a nice wooden drum with one hand while holding a bugle in the other. I didn't stop and stare, but it also seemed like he had cowbells hanging off the back of his pants. He said hi and commented on the day. He also mentioned that he was doing a sound check because he had a gig on Saturday. I'm pretty sure this is the guy who sits and plays on the curb at the farmer's market...

Down the block, I got hit on because of the weather.
--"It's a good day to be with someone."
--"Um... It is a nice day."

Then I was thinking about gardening and the astonishing variety of plants that were just growing wild in the alley I was walking down. Of course I thought about natural selection and how, as a plant picker, I select plants according to my whims of aesthetics. And then I wondered if I had to plant a garden in only one plant, what plant would that be.

I can choose a tree; Maclura pomifera, duh, but anything smaller than that kind of baffles me. A clover, perhaps? Sunflowers? Lilacs? What about a vine? To be practical, should it be edible? Runner beans? Anyway, I also found an apple tree where all the apples were rotting on the ground underneath it.




*I think I'm going to start my days with a walk.

7 Comments:

Blogger strovska said...

huh. the one-plant question is intriguing. i've been intrigued lately by the idea of doing our so-called yard (/mud pit) with only things that can be transplanted from other parts of the property.

should you ever want to Get Away from It All, i could provide free room and board to a landscape architect at loose ends who wanted to fill time by transforming a mud hole into a dog-proof paradise. just so you can put that on your list of options, you know.

donscusl!

8:58 AM  
Blogger CëRïSë said...

"I got hit on because of the weather"!

11:21 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

It was fan-freakin'-tastic weather...

And strovska, I'm definitely putting that in my back pocket. But if you want some suggestions from a couple of hundred miles away, I'd be glad to do that too.

1:50 PM  
Blogger strovska said...

well, if your brain needs some exercise, i need ideas on plants that dogs won't destroy. that's probably an oxymoron, and it's multidisciplinary to boot--but if you ever hear of anything, i'm all ears.

ingstsel!

3:43 PM  
Blogger Daniel said...

I've never seen a tobacco field, but your affinity for the Kentucky Coffee tree made me think of it. Then again if you're going to go with produce, barley might be a fun one.

enogis was my first word, then it switched to deana--very boring

7:16 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

The one-man-band guy! Isn't his name Michael? He's the one that attracts groups of little kids, right?

9:20 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

I don't know what his name is, I stayed on the other side of the street and only paused for a little bit.

strovska-my brain does need some exercise, I'll look into it.

rhershou

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home