Sunday, August 28, 2005

Like Living Without Electricity

the finale in my downer-of-a-week week was the disappearing act both wireless networks i tap into pulled. lincsys bit the dust friday morning (and hasn't been back since), with default hanging-in like a trooper till saturday night. leaving me stranded sunday morning with my rambling thoughts (i don't know how many times i thought, "i'll just read the news, i'll look up that tid-bit of information," only to be very disappointed).

the highlight of the past week was having the descriptive noun contest, which ended up accurately describing me and the week i was having. "it was such a semi-colon...i feel there' has to be something better." but no, there was nothing better and every good thing that happened was tainted with one of my idiotic episodes. i thought i was getting used to being an idiot at practically every turn, but it really hit me hard this week. and, as i wrote to ceri, i'm thinking about moving, so when i humiliate myself i don't necessarily run into the witnesses on the sidewalk, in the grocery store, or at the coffee shop.

the witnesses i ran into last week were the bikeshop boys heading to lunch. they were crossing the street and the tall one saw me, waved, and yelled, "your stem!"(the good). that afternoon i stopped by so the new, shorter stem could be put on. but now, i'm pretty sure i'm getting, what can only be described as, The Idiot's Discount at the bikeshop (the bad). while there, and while making conversation with the bikeshop boy he admitted to me that i spent
way too much money on the handle bars in relation to the worth of whole bike. i knew this deep down (and am reminded continually by my friend karen) but the conversion makes the bike look so good and ride so well, i couldn't help myself. you would think that the bikeshop would try to make money off of my weaknesses...but they don't. the first time i only had to pay for parts and half the labor, due to the parts mix-up. this time i just paid for the part and no labor because, "nate said since you've spent so much time and money we'll just charge you for the part." most people would celebrate this discount, but i know both workers are thinking i'm an idiot. a girl who doesn't know anything about bikes and is only wanting to look hip. the discount, i suppose, is a blessing and a curse, reflecting back on me the fraud i am.

then my morning job quit me. quit. me. they didn't fire me, there was no discussion about sub-par performance and not contributing to the team. my timecard just stopped showing up. and i did wait two days thinking there might be a mix-up with someone forgetting to put out the new ones. nope. i checked the other workers's. they had theirs. so, score one for the institution, i'm not going back. i picked up an application at the coffeeshop as a back up, but later found out that my other job does have the money to hire me full-time.

i went over to a friend's house for dinner and conversation. the reason was, another friend from architecture school was back in town for a few weeks, from japan, where she teaches english. we had a good time talking and playing with the puppy who likes to bite my toes. but the evening was overshadowed with knowing that i'm growing apart from another close friend who was also there.

two good friends moved out of town this weekend. one to korea and one to california.

furry dragon; look closely at his eyes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home