Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Reject!

For the sake of blog honesty I'll continue my clothes documentation even after an itchy and uncomfortable day. But that's the point, right? I'm actually self-conscious about posting pictures of my outfits because I'm so critical of other "fashion" bloggers. I am not pretending I'm fashionable, or even well dressed, the purpose is that I'm just trying to recognize reasons for the clothes I collect. All that aside, I totally cringe when I see pictures of a blogger trying to look stylish in a boring outfit, sexy-posed for a self portrait in a cluttered second bedroom or sewing nook. Of course I've elevated myself out of that scenario by taking pictures of myself in a cluttered kitchen wearing clothes from tenth grade.




Here I am, wearing my invisible cloak that does not see enough use.


No really.


On Monday I broke out a pair of brown tweed wool pants from the Gap that I got in my sophomore or junior year of high school. I liked them very much and I fancied them resembling the great slacks outfits of Katherine Hepburn. I wore these a lot throughout high school and then into the early years of college and I probably haven't touched them since. After Monday's wear, I still like the idea of them a lot, they're a solid winter pant, but the execution is almost unbearable. First, even through two tucked in shirts, the wool waistband itched and itched and itched. Secondly, the waist was up near my ribs. Even with this feature the zipper was much too long and the crotch had a billowy, balloon-like quality. In the back, the high waist also brought a balloon-like quality to an area that doesn't need the term billowy attached to it.  Then there were the wide legs. The problem I have wearing wide legged pants is that they always make me feel short and I don't like feeling short. I can hardly stand these pictures and today I had to overcompensate by wearing all black. 








As a result, the the 1997 wool slacks are headed to the Goodwill unless I decide I want to use the fabric for something else, or unless someone wants them after my glowing review.


**BONUS**


Ninja outfit



10 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

Ha! Hahahaha!!!! I'm laughing out loud at the ninja outfit.

I remember those pants. But remember, up around the rib cage was exactly where Katherine Hepburn wore 'em. But itchy isn't cool either.

I have a skirt from the high school years that has lost all elasticity from the waist, so the only thing keeping it on is the dubious strength of the drawstring. Yikes.

Bring me your castoffs at Christmas! Although the itchy pants might not be on my wish list.

5:51 AM  
Blogger strovska said...

i don't know, i think the pants are kind of classy. although i guess classy doesn't make up for itchy.

my favorite is the ninja outfit, but i'm pretty jealous of the invisibility cloak. i would take that if you're not using it.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Leah, I'll bring what I've decided against. I'm not making any promises though.

The cloak is in the mail.

4:23 PM  
Blogger CëRïSë said...

Oh, that made me laugh out loud, too! And wow, can I ever empathize with pants like that. It makes me wonder what we were thinking, in the 90s--why did it seem like a good idea to make zippers so long?

LOVE the ninja outfit.

7:04 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Stay classy.

11:46 PM  
Blogger strovska said...

i loved your christmas card! very nice, much nicer than my nonexistent ones.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Do you still have the running tights?

8:27 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

I still have the running tights, I think. I've upgraded though, to all black.

6:43 PM  
Blogger esha said...

the ninja outfit and invisibility cloak have enough love, so i'm gonna go hipster for a sec and comment on how awesome your belt and scarf are. i love their colors <3

5:09 PM  
Blogger World Famous said...

Nice to read this post.
Exam Papers

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home