Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Start of the Semester


Simply put, I was completely unprepared for classes to start this semester. I had managed to register for classes but for two of my three classes I read the schedule wrong and missed the first class of both. I would have missed the first two classes of the architectural seminar I was signed up for, but I happened to see them meeting in the atrium as I walked from one of my professor's offices to grad studio. Fortunately I am smart enough to put together the large group of people meeting in the atrium as the seminar I was supposed to be attending.

The other class that I missed was an electrical engineering class open only to undergrads. I had e mailed the professor over the summer to find out my options for taking it since I'm a grad student. So far I've skipped the first class and then another because it was raining really hard and I didn't want to ride my bike to the engineering quad. So far, it's kind of a dud but since I got the special over ride I don't feel I can drop it.


Even though I went to the effort of e mailing the architecture professor to see if I could join his seminar, I'm going to drop it. A directed study on green roofs kind of fell in my lap last Friday and it's going to be way less work. Plus I get to go out to a house that's getting built by some really eccentric and wealthy people and walk around on their roof. There's a possibility that I could propose something that might get built.

We're still squeezing in bike rides before it gets cold. The current conversations are that we'll still ride when it's cold, but I'm going to wait and see on that. Last night we ran into an eccentric cyclist covered head to toe with tattoos. Our group rides haven't been longer than 30 miles going pretty slow, and even though this was probably evident from our attire and attitudes he generously invited us
to ride to Danville with him the next day.

My bike shoes came this week and now I'm just waiting for the pedals, but it's still going to be a while before I can ride to Danville.

In the class I TA I've already had a kid ask me to punch him (?!).

I'm supposed to have the first draft of my thesis done by October 1st.

It's been a beautiful, wonderful summer and now it's fall and I still don't want to be inside.

4 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

In that picture, you have a kind of deer-in-the-headlights look. But I like the hair.

5:27 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

I meant to look nervous, like on the first day of kindergarten.

7:04 PM  
Blogger strovska said...

1) your approach to beginning an academic year is pretty much what my approach always was (miss several first class sessions).
2) did you oblige the kid who wanted punching?
3) green roofs! i hope you're planning on photographic documentation.

10:37 AM  
Blogger CëRïSë said...

When I read about your academic life, I feel like you're in school and I'm not. It's kind of an odd feeling.

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home